Disclaimer: This post is not an attempt to insult those who homeschool. It is simply a response to a post from someone who gave 10 reasons she homeschooled.
1. My children don’t like to be cooped up in the house, and neither do I.
2. My children need to learn to respect other adults than just their parents.
3. I don’t think I would do a good job sticking to the necessary routine. There are too many things In the house to distract me (like reading on this blog or Facebook).
4. I want to work outside the home to help financially. Homeschooling does no good if your husband loses his job and there is NO income. Well, I suppose you could teach your children in a van down by the river. Seriously, I know a family with 4 kids who lost their home, and the college educated wife refused to give up homeschooling and get a job!
5. Those “evil” school teachers are also parents and as a whole will not teach the garbage people accuse them of teaching (Referring to the new common core sex ed standards for 4th grade). I have taught in public school and never even been asked to teach any of that crap. The school nurse talked to the girls and explained the monthly cycle, but that was all.
6. Yes, homeschoolers can find extracurricular activities, but schools provide more.
7. Schools have the latest technology and resources.
8. Schools provide a way for kids to learn how to get along and solve problems. They learn to deal with difficult people. Let’s face It. They won’t be able to stay home from work to avoid a difficult co worker.
9. School gives kids exposure to other ways of thinking and teaches them to think for themselves. I know this one scares a lot of parents, but if you have taught your child about your beliefs, they will likely respect them. I don’t know of a Christian kid Who became an athiest just because he/she went to school. ” Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it, (Proverbs 22:6).
10. My children want to go to school. We considered homeschooling due to pressure, but my kids were horrified at the thought.